Saturday, July 5, 2008

Who Knew!!!

Tuesday afternoon Lexie was stung by a wasp on her ankle. I gave her benadryl, ice packs, elevated the leg, but to no avail the poor girl just reacts badly to stings. By Wednesday afternoon the swelling and redness was well up her leg, she was getting blisters all over ankle, and she started to run a fever.

After much deliberation we took her to the after hours clinic and our doctor was the one on that night, and she ordered some lab work because it is not a typical reaction. We were sent next door to the hospital to run the lab work while we were waiting for them to take her blood the doctor called us and said that she just did not feel good about this and that Lexie needed to be admitted.

She was admitted for cellulitis. Cellulitis is a bacterial skin infection. Her condition required IV anti-biotics. She was hooked up to an IV and a heart monitor (because of her heart history). I was able to stay the whole time with her and Kevin was there through all the needles to talk her through it and calm her down. She was a trooper through it all. She was definitely not herself, when the boys came to see her the next day she wanted to play a game with them, but she wouldn't play she had them move and play for her. She never once asked to get out of bed. She was able to come home the following evening after four doses of IV anti-biotics.



I just wanted to thank Michelle (her primary teacher and my friend) and her kids for coming to visit Lexie and bringing her something new to do. A thank you as well to Curtis and Norma for taking the boys both nights. Thank you to all who called and showed their concern.

We came home just in time for the Fourth of July, her cellulitis is healing and she is on an oral anti-biotic for ten days.

16 comments:

Jason and Kristin said...

Holy Cow! That's one way to keep things interesting? Did it have anything to do with the wasp sting? Will something like that come back? I'm glad she is doing better.

Lindsay said...

You looked good today lexie!!!

Kristi said...

Sad, poor thing! Hope she is feeling better soon!!

Amy said...

We are so glad you're home and feeling better Lexie!

Chelsea said...

Oh Lexie!!! That is so awful! No one wants to be sick but when your little one is, it's so sad! We will keep her in our prayers and hope that she gets well soon!

Lewis Family said...

Yikes! I hadn't heard. Glad to hear that she is ok.

Melissa said...

How scary! I didn't know you could get cellulitis from a sting. I'm glad she is home now. Hope she is feeling better.

Autumn said...

Holy cow! Poor little Lexie! I'm glad she is feeling better! How in the world do you get that anyway!? I would have been freaking out!

Fiddlefish said...

Holy cow!!!! How scary scary. I had no idea. Is she going to have to have an epi pen with her now? Looks like the doctor made a good call. Poor kiddo. I'll call ya tomorrow.

Tara B.

Fiddlefish said...

I just realized cellulitis is the same as a staph infection isn't it? I had a staph infection that went around my ankle bone in high school -- it started with a blister on my ankle and the redness, swelling, intense pain just kept going higher and higher until it nearly reached my knee. Went to the E.R., too. It totally wipes you out. Poor Lex. Anything we can do?

Tara B.

Michelle said...

Lexie I am glad that you are feeling better. I did not see you today and hope you are well. I will call tomorrow and see how you are.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad everything turned out okay! There is nothing more scary then having to take your kids to the hospital. Poor Lexie, I hope by now she is back to feeling better.

Keisel Family said...

That is crazy! I am glad that the doctor on call was smart enough to keep her there. I hope that she gets back to normal soon.

Aubri n Scott said...

Jonie! I had no Idea, I suck pretty much! Well, Give her our love!

Erin said...

I didn't hear about Lexie, I'm so sorry! I hope that she is doing better, what a little trooper! Take care of her and let me know if you need anything.

Mandi said...

Oh my goodness Jonie, I am a Crappy friend. I had meant to ask what ever came of that bite after talking about it at lunch bunch...then of course it takes me until a whole week and a half later to read your blog...I am so sorry! I am SO glad you took her in, now are you thinking it might not have been a wasp sting? I am just glad you are both doing well. Thanks for the fun night Fri we will have to do it again, soon!!