I read about this activity in the paper that told about the reinactment of the immigration process. Judy and I took the kids to learn about this. Kevin's mom's grandparents immigrated to the USA from Italy. My great great grandparents immigrated from Denmark. It was cool to learn about the feelings the immigrants had about seeing the Statue of Liberty for the first time. We saw a performance recreating the times that brought to pass our Americas freedom. We got a passport as if we were the immigrants and had to pass our own citizenship (harder than you think) we took an oath of citizenship and received a certificate. The community did such a good job and we were proud to be a part of it. We do not take enough time to reflect and think about our history and the blessings that we enjoy everyday as citizens of this great country.
Taking our oath of citizenship

The kids and I in front of the Statue of Liberty at Ellis Island (I wish)
No comments:
Post a Comment