Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Motherhood


Motherhood brings up so many emotions for me. I first think of how inadequate I feel at this job, and the responsibility I have to raise three children who hopefully will one day grow up to be loving, kind, responsible, adults who have a testimony and who know who they are. It is a huge responsibility I feel, and many days I feel like I lack in so many ways. I want my children to know how much I love them, and want the very best for them. I want Zach to know that I support him in all his activities. I want him to know that when he is in trouble or I get on him, it is to help him become a better young man. I want Carson to know how much I appreciate him and his ability to love. Carson is the peacemaker of the family, and in our family that can be a BIG job. Alexis is my little girl, girly in every way. I love her for this. I love that she knows who she is and I hope that will continue to grow and deepen until she fully understands that she is a daughter of God.

Mother's Day itself can be a wonderful day of homemade cards, gifts, and dinners, but it can also be a day of guilt for me as I compare myself to other mothers around me, who I feel never yell, lose their temper, or forget spelling test day. I know that some of this guilt is ridiculous, but some of it is valid as I know that I can do better. I know what I need to work on and I want my children to know that I am trying so hard to do a good job.

Along with this responsibility and guilt comes a great deal of LOVE. I love my kids, and I am thankful everyday for my job as a mother. I love being a part of their lives. I love teaching them, I love reading to them, I love watching their activities from baseball all night, to pack meetings, to dance competitions. I love helping in their school classrooms, fieldtrips, and even swimming every Wednesday. I love all these things because they love it, and I do it all for them.

I LOVE you Zach, Carson, and Alexis!!!

Thank you for a wonderful Mother's Day. The night before Mother's Day my husband and children make me a special dinner, because on Mother's Day we go to my moms and Kevin wants me to have my own special dinner. Kevin and the kids made me a dinner dedicated to the one food I love POTATOES. It included a twice baked potato, hashbrowns, mashed potato, potato wedges, potato bread, fried potatoes, and funeral potatoes, and a pork chop (also a favorite) and let us not forget potato chips on the side. In the center of all these potatoes was my fry sauce. I LOVED this dinner and the love they showed me in preparing it. It was a lot of effort on Kevin's part and I Love him for it.

10 comments:

Fiddlefish said...

You are one of the best Mom's I know. And I seriously am not just saying that. LOVED the dinner -- adorable. I am a mashed potato girl myself. Ever get a cravin' -- come on over!

Kristi said...

I love that dinner, I am just laughing that is so awesome!! Happy Mother's Day!!

Autumn said...

Beautifully written! You are a terrific mother...you can tell by how terrific your kids are! Your husband is awesome! What a great idea...I love the dinner of potatoes!

Amy Jones said...

I totally understand the urge to feel like you're the only mom who isn't perfect. In fact, most of the time I get all warped with guilt thinking I might actually be the WORST mom on the planet. But...when I have a few moments to spend on my knees...when I am able to remember how grateful I am for the craziness I go through each day...THAT'S when Heavenly Father lets me know that I'm not exactly the worst mom. AND that He might actually be proud of what I am able to accomplish with his children. Just know that He thinks you're great...and so do a LOT of other people. :)

Amy Jones said...

Holy cow, that was a book! Sorry.

Anonymous said...

I think you are an amazing mom and friend! We are totally too hard on ourselves! I love that your family made you dinner. YOu have such a great family and it is because they have such a great mom!

Wendy said...

That's awesome that they made you your own "special" dinner. What a great family you have - and what a wonderful mother you are.

Lindsay said...

Fry Sauce!!!! Gotta love it.

Jason and Kristin said...

Holy taters!

Keisel Family said...

I love this post. First off, I often feel guilty about being a mom because I too compare myself to other women with babies Mason's age. I just have one. I can't imagine the guilt with three! Goodness!

Also, I love potatoes! I think that that is the best dinner I have ever seen. Complete with fry sauce, which is a must have. I am going to make this a tradition at my house too. Thanks for the potatoe-heaven idea.