
This year for Memorial Day, we took our flowers to our loved ones, and on Monday we went to the local city cemetary for their Memorial Day Program. My brother is serving our country right now in Iraq and Afganistan. I am thankful for the sacrifices he and others are making for my behalf, as well as their families. I thought it was a good thing for my children to witness and be a part of. We watched as they raised each flag of the armed services and the veterans stand while they raised their particular flag. It brings tears to my eyes to watch these young and old stand proudly while their flag is raised.
My kids have never seen a 21 gun salute and never heard taps played on the bugle before and it was incredible.





The second half of the day we had a Bar-B-Que with friends, we had a great time and a huge thank you to all who came and participated.



10 comments:
I think it's great that you teach your kids what Memorial Day is all about!
You did a good job yesterday. You taught your family about sacrifice and duty and then you got together with friends and family. You hit all the important things in life in one day! Pretty impressive.
I had to laugh at the horseshoe stuck in the chain link fence -- if I'd been there, that would've been ME!
I wish we could have made it. We were working on the never-ending basement project that I can't wait to be done.
So much fun! As for me, I'm hoping you do it again next year...and I'll make my husband take the day off so I don't have to face the prospect of 3 kids on my lonesome. Love the pics.
Looks fun! You guys are so great! We will make sure to come next time! Thanks for being so nice to me when my dog attacks you in the dark!
Loved the pics, BTW. Hey -- you guys "in" for June 6th? I meant to ask when you came over to chat about the quarterly activity...
Great Post. My kids heard taps and seen the 21 gun salute for the first time at Grandpa Bales funeral. It is something that will live with them forever. I love that you thought of me while you were in Orem. You are a really great friend.
We also went to our towns service at the cemetery. I was amazed that my 2 year old was so good and sat so still and quiet. It's funny that they can sense something important is going on even at that age. I was happy when Kyle told me they shoot blanks because with the bunch that was doing our salute it could have been scary with real bullets :) They were all pretty old! We need to come and see you guys next time we're up. It's been too long!
You guys are always doing things that will teach your kids such understanding of things and I just look up to you for that. Way to go!
Post a Comment