Me: Hello
Kevin: Hey what are you doing?
Me: Walking out the door to go to work
Kevin: I saw the calendar you have a busy day
Me: Yes, in fact I do not think it could get busier
Kevin: Really
Me: Work, Parent teacher conferences for Zach (who is in junior high and has eight different teachers), Lexie has Dance, and Brad and Heather are coming to spend the night (some of our best friends were passing through from Wyoming to stay with us that night on their way to Las Vegas). You saw what the house looked like when you left.
Kevin: Sounds like you are too busy for someone to have a Birthday today, bye
I immediately call back he will not answer, and totally justified. I am on my way to work, feeling sick I cannot even believe that I did that, and still knowing the kind of day I still had in front of me with no end in sight and no plan. I did not even put his birthday on the calendar again "WHO DOES THAT?" How can one recover from the unforgiveable? I tried oh how I tried. With a lot of help along the way, I try to mend the damage that had been done. I ordered a fruit bouquet, picked it up and hand delivered it to his work, definitely helped, but still an after thought and he knew it.

Kevin wasn't mad so much as he was hurt, and dissappointed and feeling forgotten in the middle of a crazy day.
The worst thing about this whole thing is that Kevin would have NEVER done that to me, he makes me breakfast in bed even when he leaves that early, he involves the kids and always picks out the best cards. He makes the whole day all about me and calls it Mom's Day.
Kevin is a great father, he coaches every sport the boys are involved with (even when practices are every night of the week), he watches Lexie dance at her competitions not just the recital at the end of the year, and remembers to get her a flower to show her he is so proud of her. He helps with their homework, and at the school. Kevin loves his parents and talks to them everyday. I used to think it was crazy weird and now it is one of my most favorite things about him. His family is the MOST important thing to him. Kevin is a great provider, and a great cook. Kevin treats me better than I deserve, and my own mother has told me this more than once. Kevin has seen me at my worst (unfortunately more than once), and he still loves me. I hope he knows how much I love him. He is definitely in need of a birthday do-over and possibly a new wife who wouldn't forget. I am so sorry Kevin!
Cheree said it best that maybe your life is out of balance when we start to forget the ones we love and their birthdays. Definitely time to re-evalutate ones priorities.
9 comments:
Ouch! So sorry. I would say 'Who does that?" But there is a really good chance I would do that too. Forgetful is high on my list of personality traits. I hope he lets you make it up to him!
Oh man Jonie...When I read the title of your post...I though "oh this is going to be good..."who does that" is one of jonies coined phrases that always cracks me up!" Oh but my heart hurts for you sister...I have been extreamly forgetful latley and not just at daily tasks but about events that have happened that I should remember, but have compleatly slipped my mind. Isn't it sad that we have so much going on, that we can't even remember what we did yesterday or last week. Oh I hope Kevin lets you redeem yourself...have mercy on your soul my friend...Just kidding but really feel better...it was an innocent mistake!
P.S. do you need to miss scrapbook expo just to show him how sorry you are...Good Idea...but I hope not! Wink!!
Jonie, That has got to be so hard! Scott and I were having marriage problems one year and he didn't mention my birthday! Even though I was considering divorce I was still so hurt. Kevin is a great guy and you are a GREAT wife and Mom! I think sometimes we take to much upon ourselves! Dont get to down on you. He loves you!
Phew! Something to make me think that Jonie REALLY is human! I'm sorry that happened. You are such a good person. I can really see myself doing the same thing.
Here's a plan - On top of whatever you do to make this up to Kevin, lets go visit the Olive Garden to all celebrate the fact that Kevin is getting so old. Jonie you need to call Julie in your spare time and talk to her. They just put her in the Relief Society Pres. and she is a little nervous. I am excited about it, I know it will be a good experience for her. Happy Birhtday Kevin. Don't hold this against her for very long, we all know that she wears lead boots to keep her from being translated. Love Mike
Oh I'll tell you "who does that"...ME. Okay, not on my husbands birthday (pretty much impossible since we have the same bday) but last year, in spite of television and store advertising, I forgot Father's Day. I totally agree that when life gets out of balance you forget the ones you love the most.
Kevin is a gem...and anyone who knows you two even slightly knows that he'd take you, with faults, over anyone else in the world. So don't beat yourself up too much, okay?
g heard about the whole debacle from Kevin's point of view, I think that you did an admirable job of making a good comeback. He was more amused (IMHO) than upset. He knows that you are a very busy woman, pulled in umpteen directions at the same time. Turn the situation around, give most men the workload that you carry and we would fail miserable and in many endeavors. So do not beat yourself up over this. 20 years down the road, you two will laugh together over it and it will be a good teaching tool for the kids.
Jonie, print this post off and give it to him. I thought it was a nice tribute to him, naming all the reasons why you still think he's so old, and Awesome!! Besides, I thought when you got older you tried to forget your birthday, tell him you were just helping him out.
Post a Comment