Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Carson's Birthday

All Carson wanted to do for his birthday was the arcade at Boondocks. I love that Carson is so easy to please and we were all willing to accomodate. I talked to Zach and Lexie about giving all their tickets to Carson so he could have his choice at the prizes. When it was Carson's turn to redeem his tickets he bought Lexie and Zach something first and then picked out his prize. If he would not have had enough tickets to buy what he wanted he would not have changed a thing. He is always thinking of others first.

My parents came by our house on Saturday evening to celebrate Carson's birthday. My parents had spent the day at a mountain man rendevous and knew that Carson had been asking for his OWN fishing pole. Because my parents had been at the rendevous all day I am sure a light bulb went off in my dad's head that it would be fun to give Carson an old-fashioned fishing pole. He had made Carson a fishing pole from a thin tree branch and attached a piece of jute to it with a large safety pin for the hook. When Carson received the homemade fishing pole he kind of smiled and I know he was thinking "okay, funny but where is my real present" he played along as Grandpa attached a gummy worm that had been on his birthday cake and they threw the line over our railing into the family room. Carson would catch whatever anyone attached to the pole (stuffed animals, coloring pages, etc) and hand reel it in. After he caught a few things Grandpa attached the real fishing pole to the safety pin and yanked on the line to indicate Carson had caught something.
After a few minutes we noticed that he and Lexie were back to playing with the homemade pole again. My dad laughed and laughed that the gag gift actually was a better gift in the end.


4 comments:

Shani said...

That is the cutest thing I've heard in a long time, it's so fun to watch kids play with the simplest of things and let their imaginations go wild.
Carson's kindness and generosity toward his siblings makes me want to cry tears of joy--can we trade kids for just a few days?!

Fiddlefish said...

LOVED the post!!! I hope my Ashlyn can snag a great kid like Carson someday. You've seriously got some great kids, Jonie. You are one of the best Moms I know and I mean that most sincerely. So glad to hear Carson had a great birthday.

Tara

Melissa said...

such a sweet boy. That cake is awesome. happy birthday.

Mandi said...

You know who he gets that kindness from don't you? You!! You have been such a great example to all of your kids and they too are being the good examples to those around them. I have always thought highly of your kids and I appreciate their example to my kids, if only they could rub off on mine, either that or I need training from you. You are always so thoughtful and kind and I luv ya!